Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Dance with me

"Come dance with me, little one." I whispered as I lifted a sleeping baby from her mother's arms. She hiccuped and shook her entire body as she curled into an even smaller ball on my chest. We began that waltz around the tiny living room to the easy rhythm of baby girl's father's music as it coursed down the hall from the makeshift music room/guest room/new baby room. Music permeates her life and will eternally.
As her hiccups cease and baby sighs signal her imminent sleep, I slowly sway around the room. Guitars, bassinets, and dog toys litter the ground, but they make no difference. Our dance is what matters. Our time to bond. Our moment together. These moments are destined to be few and far between as I dread leaving my niece and my sister to return home in a few days. She will not remember, but I will. Every hug and kiss, every coo and smile. I will remember.

1 comment:

  1. Awwwww. So sweet. I hope you are journaling your experiences.

    ReplyDelete